Signing is ubiquitous. Everyone uses it, yet it's often unnoticed and rarely praised or appreciated. But it can be the first thing criticised when people get lost or confused. For our members it is second nature that good signing should be fully functional but they also believe that whether the design is minimal or startling and dramatic, signing should enhance an environment.
Our members also know that addressing problems of people navigation is often not just about providing signs, so the Society's interest extends to wider aspects of the created environment including architecture, interior design, the influence of other distracting factors, the role of human behavioural psychology and many other disciplines.
What are we?
We cover a lot of ground, going well beyond the simple notion of ‘sign design’', with people who care about the process of addressing the communication challenges faced by greater mobility and ever more complex environments.
Being a member brings a host of benefits:
- regular meetings with talks from guest speakers and lively discussion, normally free to members
- twice yearly soirée, with food and drink, free to members
- visits to places of interest, involvement in seminars, conferences etc.
- on-line archive of past talks, free to members
- on-line newsletter ‘Directions’, free to members
- international Awards to reward excellence and encourage new ideas
- links across the world with like-minded organisations and people
- contacts and news over all areas of the industry
- communication between members via this website including job advertisement (looking for jobs or vacancies to fill), free to members
- promotion of education and help to academic institutions
- contributions to publications
- influence in the fields of standardisation and legislation
- advice and help from fellow members on problem solving
- important publications in our field at discounted prices
- use of the SDS logo and membership accreditation in business communication (rules apply)
Who are we?
Our worldwide membership includes graphic designers, wayfinding consultants, manufacturers, academics, human factors experts, students…and many from organisations for whom signing is simply important to their business
So why don’t you join us and make your mark!