End-of-year update and Season’s Greetings from the Sign Design Society
Well where did 2018 go? It’s been an interesting year – record-breaking summer temperatures and continuing uncertainty around Brexit (I promise that’s the first and last mention of the B word).
It’s also been a pretty significant year for the SDS. Not only did we welcome a new administrator Kate, we also launched the long-awaited website refresh.
Our new website
We’ve also been building up the information and reference resources. Thanks to a sterling effort by Kate, recordings and materials for the majority of talks from the last two years, are now available in our members-only Talks Archive .
Events and SDS on tour
It hasn’t just been about the website though. In June, the SDS took to the road – heading to Birmingham City University, for an event that included a selection of fascinating talks, a signage tour, an exhibition and a degree show. Our final event of 2018 saw a packed room for our joint party and talkFest with the Information Design Association.
We look forward to seeing you again at our first event of 2019 (Thursday 10 January) when we’ll be celebrating the best of British wayfinding with the finalists from the 2018 British Sign Awards wayfinding category.
NB We’re keen to add more tours to our events calendar. So if you’ve completed a project that would make an interesting visit we’d love to hear from you.
With the year drawing to a close, I’d like to thank all SDS members for their continued support; our administrator Kate; your SDS Steering Group; event sponsors John Anthony Signs, DCL and the Information Design Association; website sponsor Artisan; venue hosts Alan Baxter Associates, Steer, Atkins and Birmingham City University and all our speakers:
- Simon Borg (Populous Activate), Julian Maynard (Maynard)
- Riccardo Bobisse, James Brown (Steer)
- Laura Kidd (HS2)
- David Fagg (John Anthony Signs), Ed Griffiths (Jedco), James Sirman (Papercast)
- Peter Lloyd (University of Kent), Andrew McIlwraith (University of Reading)
- Lottie Webb (City ID), Jieling Xiao (Birmingham City University)
- Mark Andreasson, Jeff Grantz (DCL)
- Ankita Dwivedi (Gensler), Colette Jeffrey (BCU), Krunal Shah (Atkins Global), Harm Wondaal (Eurorouting)
- Andrew Barker (independent consultant)
- Phil Baines (Central St Martins), Alistair Hall (We Made This), Geraldine Marshall (BCU)
Without you none of this would be possible.
Seasons greetings to all and best wishes for 2019.
Chair, Sign Design Society