Technical Designer/Project Manager, f.r.a. (Shrewsbury, UK)
f.r.a. is a different kind of proposition. We provide niche design services, including wayfinding, placemaking and brand design. We’re known for an empathetic and unconventional approach to design that gets under the skin of a project but also for delivering real-world results. Our clients love us because we unlock the full potential of their projects and we’re fun to work with. We’re based in Shropshire and service clients across the country.
We are growing. We’re looking for the right person to help with project management and technical design. This position blends the role between a project manager and technical designer, you’ll need to be a dynamic individual committed to delivering excellent customer service whilst maintaining exceptionally high standards. You’ll be liaising between the office team and clients, attending site meetings and managing suppliers and subcontractors. The role involves national, and potentially international travel.
You will sit within the projects and design team, reporting to the Project Director. Duties include:
- Planning and management of wayfinding & signage projects across the built environment;
- Managing design-related project deliverables including 2D and 3D sign designs;
- Ensuring each project is delivered on time, within scope, delivering on client satisfaction, quality control and financial performance;
- Creating schedules and project programs to communicate and track progress;
- Using appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule and costs;
- Managing the relationship with the client and all stakeholders during project delivery;
- Applying risk management to minimise project risks;
- Creating and maintaining comprehensive project documentation and communicate closely with the project team;
- Liaising with project teams coordinating designs, manufacture and installation;
- Tracking change management and update to drawings, schedules, specifications and graphic artwork;
- Overseeing installation teams and carry out snagging and de-snag works.
Essential and desirable skills and experience:
You’ll embrace the company culture, valuing our core principles: enthusiastic, collaborative, grounded, pragmatic and innovative. You’ll need to appreciate good design, be methodical and highly organised with demonstrable skills and experience including:
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and communication skills that works well in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work effectively and project manage numerous projects simultaneously;
- Maintain accurate records, filing, completing project administration and related tasks, ensuring efficient delivery;
- Technical understanding of signage, materials and finish specifications.
Understand 3D product design and 2D graphic layouts, an ability to draw, model and artwork would be advantageous;
- A creative eye and appreciation of branding and visual identity management;
- Proven experience within project management of the built environment;
- Experience in using following software: Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat); CAD Software is a strong advantage; solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office; Microsoft Project, Merlin or equivalent scheduling software; knowledge of cloud-based project management and collaboration tools; ability to work in 3D modelling (SketchUp) would be useful; Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat) experience a must;
- Degree in Project or Design Management or equivalent (but we would consider candidates with real-life experience);
- 3+ years of relevant experience as a project manager;
- PRINCE II certification an advantage.
Package and additional information:
- Structured bonus package;
- Auto-enrolment pension;
- 20 days holiday plus bank holidays and Christmas shutdown;
- Paid sick leave;
- Annual off-site team-building retreat;
- CPD & training sessions throughout the year.
We’d welcome you to join us in our studio in Shrewsbury. It’s lovely here with fresh air, room to grow and a place where people can actually afford to buy houses. Salary dependant on experience. We have a flexible studio culture with a focus on enjoying our lives as well as what we do. We share in the company’s success through bonuses. There is plenty of room for growth, it’s yours for the making.
No agencies, please.
Applications by email with CV and link to portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.